- Trial presentation. We deliver moving opening and closing arguments, and devastating cross-examinations. Our trial presentations are the result of meticulous preparation that begins on day one.
- Appellate presentation. We cut through the noise, arguing our clients’ appeals with clarity and impact. We write briefs that simplify, synthesize, and persuade. At oral argument, we seize on opportunities to resolve confusion, address lingering questions, or change a judge’s mind.
- Out-of-court presentation. Navigating any complex dispute requires persuading not only judges and juries, but also employees, investors, customers, and the public. How, when, and what you communicate—often through broadcast and print media—are essential to success. We develop and execute effective communication strategies.
MANAGED TO WIN EVEN WHEN CONVENTIONAL WISDOM HELD THEY BARELY HAD A SHOT
– National Law Journal
We persuade judges, juries, and other critical stakeholders—both inside and outside the courtroom.
COMPLETE MASTER OF THE FACTS
– Chambers USA
We give each case the level of care and attention it deserves. From soup to nuts, we devote the resources necessary to ensure that our clients’ objectives are realized.
- Investigate. We begin each case with a deep dive into the facts and surrounding circumstances. This work lays the foundation for everything else we do.
- Evaluate. We map facts onto law to assess claims, defenses, and probable outcomes.
- Strategize. We identify key themes and craft persuasive narratives, carefully positioning each case for its optimal resolution.
- Execute. We persuade judges, juries, and arbitrators. We also handle every step leading to those climactic moments—taking depositions, preparing experts, managing press, and everything in between.
“We take a comprehensive approach to all of our cases, thinking big about creative solutions while also obsessing over every detail.”
John is one of the nation’s leading young trial and appellate lawyers. Before his January 2023 promotion to partner, he was one of only two associates in America ranked by Chambers USA for appellate litigation.
SMALL BUT MIGHTY
We’re noted experts in an array of complex substantive and procedural areas. We’re also known for our ability to handle challenging facts and unsettled law.
- Complex Substance. Our lawyers thrive in the most complex areas of the law. We have deep experience with wide-ranging statutory and common law regimes, including Copyright Act, Lanham Act, Patent Act, Securities Exchange Act, Medicare Secondary Payer Act, ERISA, Affordable Care Act, contracts, business torts, remedies, trust law, fiduciary duty, and more.
- Complex Procedure. In some cases procedure comes to the forefront. We regularly litigate mission-critical procedural battles over topics such as arbitration, personal jurisdiction, subject matter jurisdiction, venue, class and collective action procedure, preemption, multi-district litigation, and justiciability (including Article III standing).
- Challenging Facts. We untangle complexity, contextualize difficult facts, and tell impactful stories that show decisionmakers why the only right answer is to rule for our clients. From judges and juries to the media and public, we know our audience and design our messaging accordingly.
- Unsettled Law. We combine our powers to shape the legal landscape. We take cases to the U.S. Supreme Court, where our lawyers are among the most active in the nation. We also routinely handle cutting-edge issues in appellate and trial courts from coast to coast.
“Our team has the critical skill set for high-stakes, complex litigation: substantive expertise, creative thinking, and sound judgment.”
Bridget joined Stris & Maher in 2017 after serving as the first-ever Solicitor General for the State of Vermont. She has argued dozens of appeals in federal and state court, and has led litigation producing multi-million dollar recoveries for both private and government clients.
RESPECTED ON A NATIONAL LEVEL
– Daily Journal
We do what we say and say what we do. The legal industry has taken notice.
- National Boutique of the Year, The American Lawyer (2019, 2022)
This award recognizes firms “at the core of industry-changing matters, leading the charge on their clients’ most important cases and operating at a level that sets them apart from their peers.” In 2019, we were one of seven finalists in the country (winner: Susman Godfrey). In 2022, we were again one of seven finalists (winner: Bartlit Beck).
- Appellate Hot List, The National Law Journal (2016, 2018, 2019, 2021)
This award recognizes “star” law firms that “won key matters before the U.S. Supreme Court and federal courts of appeals.” Typically reserved for Am Law 100 firms, we are a four-time recipient.
- Band 1 (national), Chambers USA (current)
We are one of three firms in the country who hold Chambers USA’s highest rank for ERISA plaintiffs-side litigation.
- Top 150 Under 150, Vault (current)
Identifying us as a leading smaller firm, Vault writes, “Los Angeles-based litigation boutique Stris & Maher is small but mighty—its 17-attorney team is a go-to for high-stakes trials.”
- Firms to Watch: Appellate, Legal 500 (current)
Recognizing our appellate capabilities, Legal 500 writes, “The team at California’s Stris & Maher LLP may be more compact than many of its competitors, but sources attest its lawyers are ‘experts in Supreme Court and appellate practice’.”
“We do big work for clients of all stripes. What matters is solving critical challenges to get the law right and achieve the just result.”
Tillman is an experienced appellate lawyer. He has represented a wide range of clients before the U.S. Supreme Court, every federal court of appeals, and several state courts.
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|